Date:      Thu, 05 Sep 1996 23:34:03 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        browning <darkdog@www.netmcr.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install

browning wrote:

> Since the hardware goddess brought me a new (second) hard drive, that
> problem is solved. I now have several more questions. I've been saving them up.

You'll probably get better responces if asked individually.

> 1) atapi.flp is not on the 2.1.5 CD (nor is inst_bat). I downloaded it from
> the 2.1.0 directory on the ftp server and used rawrite to copy to a fresh
> floppy. It appears to boot the kernel but when it begins searching the
> system it hangs up, giving me a blank screen. Is this why atapi.flp was not
> included in the 2.1.5 distribution?  boot.flp works just fine until I ask
> for CD-ROM as install medium and get a "No CD-ROM..." message (which makes
> perfect sense).

2.1.5 dosn't need an atapi.flp, the GENERIC kernel now comes
with ATAPI support.
If your CD is supported, Boot: -c, visual from a 2.1.5 boot.flp
and config your devices, remove any unused ones and it should pick
up your CD no sweat!

The 2.1.0 atapi.flp/boot.flp/install will not work with the 2.1.5
CD AFAIK!

> 2) Now that I have two hard drives, do I want a primary and secondary master
> (present set-up), or a master and slave? FreeBSD finds, opens and partitions
> the second master just fine.

Ok, Not sure exactly what ya mean here, You have two IDE interfaces
Primary and Secondary.
On your Primary (wdc0) you have:
	HD Master
	CD Slave
On your Secondary (wdc1) you have:
	HD Master

If yes, That will work, And in fact it seems thats the optimal setup
for FreeBSD.

> 3) If two master drives, where does the boot manager go? The BSD boot
> manager to open DOS, BSD, and NT? Or the NT boot manager, which I gather
> doesn't work very well.

On the Master of the Primary interface.
 (Somebody back me up here if I'm wrong, I don't multi-OS boot)

This should not affect Dos/W95 unless you re-initialize your dos
drive after booteasy is installed, Then you'll have to re-install
booteasy. No big deal!

I've heard some complaints from NT users and Booteasy!
I belive this has to do with NT write protecting the partition table.

Be warned though! You are playing with your drives!

	BACKUP your valuables!

If you have two masters on the same interface, It's broke.. :)

> 4) Okay, so I know I can't at present install from the CD. I copy all of
> /dists and /floppies to an empty DOS partition, figuring I'll get the rest
> later. I go through the novice install menus and at the end I get:
>
>         a) "Error mounting /dev/wd0s2 on /dos: invalid argument(22)" then,
>         b) "Can't find kernel image..." then,
>         c) "Install completed with errors..."
>
> and then back to the install menu. Copying the directories to
> d:\freebsd\dists\(distname)or d:\freebsd\(distname) seems not to make a
> difference. Is BSD loaded? Can I then go to the configuration menu and fix
> things?

No, And the proper tree structure is:
	X:\freebsd\bin
	          \floppies
etc..., etc....
Where X is the drive letter, Commonly C:\FREEBSD\BIN

Whats your CD, You may yet be able to install from it!

Not sure of the error.
It may have to do with the improper tree structure!
Someone else may be able to answer that!

> Any help would be greatly appreciated. As a wonderful learning experience,
> this is starting to get frustrating. Thanks.

Yes, I know exactly how you feel!
It can be frustrating, But the rewards are well worth it!

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848