Date:      Mon, 14 May 2007 10:20:40 +0200
From:      Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec@42.org>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: send something TO a hid device

Hi,

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 16:14 -0700, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> >I have just acquired a Bluetooth "Media Pad", which is basically a small
> >keyboard with an LCD display above it.
> you are talking about logitech dinovo pad, are you not?

Yes. I got only the "media pad" part from a friend who doesn't need it
any more.

> >The keypad part works ok with bthidd (some special keys don't yet send
> >keycodes, but that should be easily fixable).
> ok. patches are welcome.

At the moment I am trying to convert the hid report descriptor to see
wether there is a bug in the FreeBSD parser or the descriptor. I have
found only a windows tool which didn't really work, so I am searching
for a spec to do it myself (in perl).  From what I've seen, this
shouldn't be too difficult.

> it depends. what are you planning to do with the lcd display? also
> would be nice to have hid descriptor dump (i assume hid reports are
> used to send information to the pad).

So far not. The information I got was from a Linux patch which just
assembles raw packets (probably gained by sniffing). When I have a text
version of the descriptor, I can tell you more about that.

If it isn't in that descriptor, I will look into producing an updated
descriptor, but from what I've seen, I'm not sure this will be easy.

[...]
> local unix or inet (on 127.0.0.1) is the way to go imo. putting stuff
> into vkbd(4) is a bad idea, because one side (keyboard) of vkbd is
> grabbed by the kernel another (device) is grabbed by the bthidd(8) and
> there is no easy way to stuff extra data into vkbd(4).
>
> implementing a "pass-through" type of interface in bthidd(8) makes
> more sense, however, there is aways a risk that someone will use
> "pass-through" interface incorrectly and will, for example, mess with
> keyboard lights or something.
>
> i'm not a really big fan of displays on keyboards, but someone might
> find them useful in an "eye candy" soft of way :)
>
> the "pass-through" interface idea might have some value, though. i'm
> hoping for "smart" hid devices, i.e. keyboards with programmable
> layouts, etc.

The problem is, I have abolutely no idea how to implement a device, so
thats why I suggested a local socket. The problem with that is, that we
need some kind of "ad hoc" protocol to select which device to talk to
(as bthidd can have multiple connections at once, iirc). I am planning
on a simple linewise text-based thing, but I'm not completely sure on
that yet.

And yes, Eye-candy is what I'm after. That and some kind of
new-mail-or-something indicator :)

CU,
    Sec
--
I didn't say we *can't* do it. In fact we can. We also can calculate digits
of sqrt(2) in the background, drive space shuttles, or have an AI algorithm