Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 11:02:43 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Johnathan Raymond Sconiers II <jrs@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Johnathan Raymond Sconiers II <john@Mcs.Net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: do you support

> > > I was reading a few articles about scsi devices and i wanted to know
> > > does freebsd support Diamond Multimedia's Fireport 40 or the Fireport
> > > 40 dual?
> >
> > I have a Fireport 40 in my box that works well running 2.2.5-STABLE.
> > (I'm unsure if it's a dual, since I don't know what that is.  Mine is a
> > Wide controller, if that helps.)
>
> The dual version is their scsi card that can do both ultra scsi and
> ultra wide scsi off of the same card. By the way did you right your own
> device driver?

Nope, Stefan Esser wrote all of the NCR drivers, and if I may say so
myself, I've only one *ONE* problem (and it turned out to be in another
part of the system that triggered the 'error') in the 2.5 years I've
owned them, while the Adaptec people have weekly problems.  The
advantage of having access to the programming documentation has been
obvious to me.

(This is not to say that the Adaptec stuff isn't good, but for me the
NCR has provided me *much* better bang for the buck with almost *zero*
problems.)

Nate