Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 02:24:12 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSUP Suggestion

Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com> types:
> Ben (ben@cahostnet.com) wrote:
> > Thanks for the suggestion.  Yes I got lucky I guess, at least I think
> > I did.  No errors were reported.  But know that I've done the
> > intallworld, should I go back and do the buildkernel to synch up my
> > kernel with my system?  Or I'm I OK to leave things where it is now?
> > The only thing left to do is to do mergemaster.
> Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you compiled your
> kernel the 'old way', and it compiled without errors, and commands like
> top and ps execute without problems, I think you should be fine.

He's fine because he did "make installworld" before building the
kernel. At that point, either "make buildworld" or the
config/etc. method both use the same binaries. The risky part was
running the later world with the old kernel. At that point, ps the
like probably quit working. If something that was required to build or
install the kernel quit working, he'd have been in a bad way.

	<mike