Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 15:00:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gao Fei <gaof@public.intercom.com.cn>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How can I make virtual host?

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Gao Fei wrote:

> I want to make my FreeBSD to become our virtual hosts server, how can I
> do?

Carefully.  :-)

FreeBSD uses the same basic tools that other OSs do, such as BIND and
Apache.  The only specific part is setting up the Ethernet interface for
the multiple addresses, which we call Ethernet aliases.  See /etc/rc.conf
for instructions on how to set up alias'd addresses.  Note that aliased
addresses MUST have a netmask of 255.255.255.255.

For instance:

ifconfig ed0 inet 128.111.111.110 netmask 0xffffff00
ifconfig ed0 inet 128.111.111.111 netmask 0xffffffff alias