Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:44:20 GMT
From:      john@goodleaf.net
To:        "Adam Fladwood" <adam@wiredrave.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail -or- Qmail?

I have to vote for qmail or postfix. It's not that sendmail is a _bad_
program, it's just that I don't understand it. I do understand qmail and
postfix...

Personally, I find postfix the easiest to use, and I use it for my own
systems. However, qmail probably has a wider following and has very
extensive online documentation, as well as additional modules, etc. There
is also a book from SAMS publishing called _Running Qmail_, which happens
to use FreeBSD 4 for most of its examples. So you may prefer qmail for the
resources available to you.

In any case, both qmail and postfix are a world easier to configure than
sendmail. They are also reputed to be more secure than sendmail. I'm afraid
I can't say anything about speed, as my systems don't generate enough
traffic to torture test any of the software.

-John