Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:40:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        gkshenaut@ucdavis.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getfreebsdstuff [-cmd|-pkg|-port|-dist|-vVERS|...] thing ...

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Greg Shenaut wrote:

> Is there a utility with the above functionality? That is, a single
> command-line invocation that will fetch, compile if necessary, and
> install one or more commands, distributions, packages, or ports?
>
> I have installed packages and ports, but the process is interactive
> and tends to fail--I am probably doing things the "hard way" due to
> lack of knowledge and would appreciate a steer toward the easy way.

Gosh, Greg, I didn't think it could be much easier than pkg_add.  If
you're having problems, my guess is that you are trying to add new
packages/ports from the web to an older installation of FreeBSD, so the
version numbers of libraries, distfiles, etc are off.  I've always
had best results by using only the packages and ports that are on the
CD-ROM with the version of FreeBSD I'm running, but in a pinch, I get the
new port from the web first, and then run make on it.  I haven't used
packages as much, but from what I've read, they are even *easier*.

Also note that a port will fail in short order if you don't have the
associated distfile, and if it isn't available at the ftp sites listed in
the Makefile.

  Kenneth J. Marsh             University of Washington
  durang@u.washington.edu        Chemical Engineering