Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 11:59:08 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        jstuardo@lucas.elo.utfsm.cl
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX question

> Let me make a question about UNIX. How can I initialize serial ports
> COM1, COM2 in UNIX by mean of a C program? after initialized, how can I
> send data to them? Do you know where can I get an example program about
> that?

In Unix, everything is a file, so you can just use functions like
open(), read() and write() to communicate with a modem, for example
(and perhaps a call to tcsetattr() to configure it). Any good book or
resource related to Unix programming should have examples of how to
use these functions.

If you need to communicate directly with hardware, use inb() and
outb() after opening /dev/io - see /usr/include/machine/cpufunc.h.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk