Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 1998 21:47:10 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Ben Cottrell <benco@pendor.McKusick.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk based audio editing tool?

> I wrote my own curses-based audio recording program, and I know how to
> crunch PCM data and calculate loudness in dB and stuff like that,
> but the identification and removal of the pops is beyond me.

Hmm.  If you've already figured out how to calculate loudness then the
elimination of pops just involves your existing work plus a little bit
of statistics keeping. :) Clicks and pops actually have very high
transient volume levels and stick out like a sore thumb on a 'scope.

If you keep a running average of the median volume, you should
probably be able to eliminate a surprising number of such transients
with a very simple algorithm.  No guarantees that this will work on
punk rock music, of course, where such transients often count as
artistic expression.

- Jordan