Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 1996 18:42:58 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, bora@wireless.stanford.edu, imp@village.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X for install (was: Re: syscons driver)

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> It's a pretty basic problem.  Do you want to describe only interface?
> Interface with tie-backs?  Interface and behavior in the same
> description?  There are arguments for all three, but I would have to
> see the proposed API (or IDL description) for a system before I could
> really comment on it.

I had a rough 8(  Nothing formal though.  I'll have to write it again I guess.
Basically, for those that want to jump in now, I was working loosely around
the basic functionality that a really light GUI (in this case, GEM) offered
("alerts", "[radio]buttons", "listboxes", "menus", "text boxes", etc ), and
looking at ways that the questions can be presented in a variety of
different environments.

> Perhaps the question should also be asked: "What exactly would folks
> *like* ``install script'' to look like?"

At the end of asking all the questions that it asks, the installer
should be able to dump its entire internal state in a more-or-less
human-readable form.  It should also be able to reingest this form and
proceed from there; this would allow for 'template installations', which
would cover a lot of, say, 'Joe on the net's issues. 8)

> 					Jordan

]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[