Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 13:45:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      William Chin <wechin@acs.bu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware Configuration

Hi-

I was hoping to install FreeBSD 2.1 (Jan 96) on my computer
but have a question about my hardware configuration.  I have a

HP Vectra 5/90c
PCI Bus
AMD PCI Bus SCSI controller (AMD 79c974)
1 scsi-2 HD  1.0GB
1 ide HD  240MB
Matrox MGA-PCI/2+

I didn't see my SCSI controller on the list of "acceptable"
hardware.  During the probing for devices on the PCI
Bus, it printed out the following:

PCI0:4:AMD, Device=0x2020, class=storage (scsi) [Do Driver Assigned]

Does this mean that I am not able to install FreeBSD with my
current hardware, or is my controller similar to one on the list
and I just have to correctly assigne it.  One previous suggestion
was to purchase a new PCI SCSI controller.

I was able to copy some files from the CD onto part of my IDE hard
drive to load FreeBSD from a dos partion, but I am hoping to be able
to use both my SCSI hard drive and CD rom.  Any help, comments, or

Thanks-
Will
;)
William E. Chin			         	  Stop-and-Wait
wechin@bu.edu   			    the protocol of Champions
(617) 782-9981