Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:41:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        almazs@wgn.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: where is the source?

On Sat, 25 Jul 1998 almazs@wgn.net wrote:

> How to get a copy of the source for ports collections
>
> Reading the documentation on "Installing Application"; "The port
> collection" 4.2. "How does the port collection work?" the following
> error message out put is shown as an example:
>
> >> ElectricFence-2.0.5.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
> >> Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.doc.ic.ac.uk/Mirrors/sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/devel/lang/c/.
>
> The `make' program has noticed that you did not have a local copy of the
> source code and tried to FTP it down so it could get
> the job done. I already had the source handy in my example, so it did
> not need to fetch it.
>
> this means:
> No local copy of the source is available on the system !

Yup :)

> How is a copy of the source installed on the system? during installation
> when asked if you would like to install ports collections or is done
> afterwards? my machine keeps barfing-out the above message even though I
> have selected to install full sources and binaries and ports collection
> of selected types.

Normally, the source files (called distribution files or distfiles) are
not copied to the hard drive since they take up a CD on their own. :)  If
you have the FreeBSD CDs, you can mount disc #3 on /cdrom and the ports
system will find it automatically.  Otherwise you can copy the file(s) it
wants to /usr/ports/distfiles/.  Note that the automatic fetch will
download the distfile for you into the distfiles directory.