Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:36:31 +0100
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Zero Sum" <count@shalimar.net.au>, "Cosmos Boekell" <boekell@cs.uchicago.edu>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: server

> AMD should be fine, but I would try and build a multi-processor box, even
> if it means slower processors.  It will likely perform better and the
> difference may increase when a ouple of FreeBSD problems get solved.

Could you please explain this further? AMD and multi-processor are mutually
exclusive until now, so you´re speaking of Intel dual-processing (XEONs
possible price-wise for the called 2000-2500$ in the US ?) vs. AMD single
processor. In which cases would the SMP-machine perform better?

> SCSI would be nice, but that is much more expensive. I'd say
multiprocessor
> would be more important.  For a high hit rate, DSCSI is much better
though.

I think that very strongly depends on your estimated kind of load. Doing
web-hosting with heavy cgi-scripting as main task, processor power and a lot
of RAM will save your performance, but for NFS over high-speed network, your
disk subsystem will be decisive.

Ciao
Siegbert