Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 12:57:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      grafe@lab12.ie.pitt.edu (Gary Rafe)
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: trouble with linux-jdk1.2pre-v2 on 3.3-R reading System.in

!> After seeing comments suggesting the usability of the blackdown.org
!> jdk1.2pre-v2 port on FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE systems,
!> we pulled it down & gave it a try.
!>
!> We're finding, however, that the readLine() method of BufferedReader
!> doesn't fetch anything from stdin (i.e., the keyboard) and "hangs",
!> while the native FreeBSD JDK1.1.8 port works as advertised:
!>
!> Can anyone comment on this behavior ?
!
!This is a bug in the linux emulation.  I posted a patch for 3.4-STABLE
!several weeks ago which fixes this.  I'm not sure how it would work on
!3.3.
!
!----
!John Rochester                  Java Developer, e-Net Software, Bath, UK
!john.rochester@enetgroup.co.uk  jr@cs.mun.ca

Thanks for this information.
I applied the patch to my 3.3-R /usr/src/sys,
compiled the new linux.ko module,
and it installed without complaint.

And the good news is,
the Linux JDK1.2pre-v2 here reads input now.

Thanks again !

--
Gary Rafe
gerst4@pitt.edu