Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 22:31:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   web servers and canonotical domains

 OK, I may be asking a boneheaded question, but here goes.

 I have a mailserver and a web server for a domain. www.domain.com goes to =
the
web server. Domain.com and the MX record point to the mail server. Well, no=
w the
execs want http://domain.com to go to the web server.=20

1) What is the best way to do this?

2) What is the best way to do this based on the fact that most of our
hosted domains are the same way and would be plenty upset if their customer=
type http://otherdomain.com and got Our web page.

3) If I just take domain.com and make IN A X.X.X.X of the web server, it se=
ems
many stupid mailers out there don't pay alot of attention to the MX record =
and
report no mailer daemon and bounce.

 I thought of a perl script that opened a port 80 socket and simply said
 "if $www.domain.com" then send BAD URL" (to prevent looping)
 " if .$domain.com send  error code moved permenently - (redirecting to
www.$domain.com)

 Would this work? anyone done something like this. I don't want to route th=
web traffic through the mail server and I don't want to route mail traffic
through the web server.

 Or am I just missing some obvious thing....

   Nicole

                          | o_o  |__  ) )          =20
          nicole@nmhtech.com | http://www.webweaver.net/
webmistress@dangermouse.org  | http://www.dangermouse.org