Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 02:09:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Michiel Boland <boland@carmel.diva.nl>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mplex and VBR video streams

Hi.

MPEG streams generated by mplex from a variable bitrate video stream (such
as those generated by mpeg_encode) and an audio stream are generally
unplayable by any decent mpeg player, except plaympeg/gtv which works ok
for some mysterious reason. If I mplex two fixed-rate streams everything
is perfect. Slight problem: I use mpeg2encode to generate fixed-rate
streams which is about 4 times slower than mpeg_encode :(

I see lots of 'time out' messages when using mplex on VBR streams which
can't be good, and possibly explains why the resulting streams are
unplayable.

So, have any of you seen either something that can encode fixed-rate MPEG
videos faster than mpeg2encode or a replacement for mplex that can handle
VBR streams?

TIA

Cheers
Michiel