Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:57:03 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pccard and -current; a long way to go. :-(

In article <199707261527.AAA28100@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au>,
Michael Smith  <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:

> Where is the ELF toolset at these days?

The gcc that's in our main source tree can trivially be built for
ELF by setting BINFORMAT=elf in the environment before running make.

The current version of GNU binutils fully supports the configuration
target "i386-unknown-freebsdelf".

Our kernel, libc, and all other libraries I've tried build and work
just fine for ELF.  (They did the last time I checked, anyway.)

The most recent work I did was to make the kernel compile, boot,
and run when built as an ELF executable.  That was met with a great
big collective yawn when I committed it.  All available evidence
indicates that nobody else gives a tinker's damn about FreeBSD-ELF
except as something fun to argue about passionately.  (The people
working on the alpha port are probably going to care about it some
day, whenever they get around to that part.)  I'm not complaining,
but I'm also not feeling encouraged to expend any more effort on
it.

John