Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:33:50 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        phastnet@bellsouth.net ("Phastnet")
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: socks5 help needed

On 21 Mar 2000 01:57:49 -0500, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>Thanks for your help! But I am still having the same problems.. I'm still
>very new to freebsd, so I'm probably just missing something obvious.. But, I
>added:
>set SOCKS5_V4SUPPORT
>to my /etc/socks5.conf,

/etc or /usr/local/etc ?

>and it didn't seem to help.. Do I need to edit the
>makefile & recompile also to enable the socks4 support maybe?

Not that I remember.

>I also ran
>socks5 -d 3 -f  , which was what the man pages said to use for debugging,
>but I really didn't notice any extra messages other than a S5IOCheck error
>that said recv failed: Can't assign the requested address..

what about /var/log/daemon when you run it in the background.  Also, I
would start with a completely permissive .conf file (i.e. let everyone
proxy) and start adding restrictions to see where things are breaking.
There are also examples in the compile directory that might be helpful.
However, for safety reasons when doing this, block incoming connections to
port 1080 on your gateway/firewall.

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)