Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 11:18:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        bleez@netaxs.com (Bryan Liesner)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Big ATA problems

It seems Bryan Liesner wrote:

> The latest ata commits left my system completely unbootable.  No disks
> were probed.

He, you always seem to be lucky when I change something :)

> I have on the motherboard's Alladin controller:
> HP 4x4x24 CD burner as master primary channel
> 40x CD as slave primary channel
> HP Colorado 8 Gig ATAPI tape as master secondary channel
>
> On a Promise Ultra66:
> WDC AC29100D
> WDC AC32500H
> each on thier own channel.
>
> Here are the boot messages (I had to write them down)
> ata0-slave: WARNING: WAIT_INTR active=ATA_WAIT_READY
> ata0-slave: timeout waiting for intr
> ata0-slave: identify failed

That doesnt't make sense from the new stuffs angle...

> these were repeated once
>
> and when attempting to mount /
> no devsw(msgdev=0 bootdev=0xa200000)
> no such device 'ad'
>
> Prior the the commit, the motherboard ide controllers were numbered
> ata0,1 and the Promise was ata2,3.
>
> After the commit it is switched around.  Now the controllers probe as
> Promise ata0,1 and the motherboard as ata2,3.

Hmm, yes you have one of those motherboards that screw the order
of the controllers, it is an ASUS aliddin right ??

You could try to not use the ATA_STATIC_ID option, that way your
disks should be numbered 0 and 1 and at least make it boot...

I'll try to get this resolved in the meantime, I guess Rabson didn't
think about this one, and neither did I for that matter...

-Søren