Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:28:24 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        "Mikkel C. Simonsen" <mcs@post5.tele.dk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Elitegroup K7S5A - SIS 735 chipset

Mikkel C. Simonsen wrote:

>>Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:34:16 -0800
>>From: Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
>>Subject: Re: Elitegroup K7S5A - SIS 735 chipset
>>
>>Herbert wrote:
>>

>>>Hei!
>>>
>>>Is the K7S5A mainboard and the SIS 735 chipset supported by FreeBSD
>>>4.4-STABLE? What about the onboard ide controller? Can I run my hard
>>>disks in udma66 or udma100 mode?
>>>
>>No, only UDMA33. The networking isn't supported.
>>

> Isn't the networking supported by the sis driver? For other OSes you use
> the SiS900 driver - and the SiS900 should be supported by the sis
> driver. Does the kernel find the lan chip?

The kernel finds the SiS900 but it has a new PHY in it and the sis
driver doesn't recognize it. I was sent some patches but they didn't
work and the maintainer didn't have access to a SiS-735 based mb. The
messages are

sis0: <SiS 900 10/100BaseTX> port 0xb800-0xb8ff mem
0xcffcd000-0xcffcdfff irq 5 at device 3.0 on pci0
sis0: Ethernet address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
sis0: MII without any PHY!
device_probe_and_attach: sis0 attach returned 6

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA