Date:      Sun, 03 Feb 2002 19:13:25 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1013208421.5f92d0@mired.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with SiS900 on S7K5A

Mike Meyer wrote:

> I finally got around to upgrading my ECS S7K5A system to include the
> patches for the SiS 735 chipset it uses. Everything seemed to be
> working fine, so I pulled the fxp for use elsewhere.
>
> At which point problems start appearing. In particular, it seems like
> network activity just stops every so often. Sometimes in minutes,
> sometimes in days. Originally I thought it was related to running out
> of mbufs, which I was doing, but the last time it happened netstat -m
> reported "0 requests for memory denied" and ditto for delayed.  Taking
> the interface down and back up doesn't solve the problem. Rebooting
> does.
>
> I realize I should have grabbed the status for the card while it was
> down, but forgot, and have to leave for a couple of hours in about 10
> minutes. So I'm going to ask for suggestions about what I should
> collect the next time this problem happens so that I can give a
> reasonable report.  Ditto for suggestions on actions to take to try
> curing this symptom without having to reboot it that might provide
> clues to solving the problem.

What kind of connection do you have? I have one of the asymmetric DSL
setups (768/128 on demand). I have downloaded 101 MB of the 4.5-iso
and I have seen two stalls. I also see the stalls on other NICs. I
have also been told that the stalls are the nature of the beast when
you go with the asymmetric setup.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart