Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 06:30:33 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        bsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: lpstat connection refused

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:29:32PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 5:26 PM -0700 1/20/02, Collins Richey wrote:
> >I managed to setup my printer (laserjet) using the samples in the
> >handbook, and it is working for both plain text and .ps files.
> >
> >Whenever I execute 'lpstat' or 'lpstat -p', I get
> >
> >	 lpstat: Unable to connect to server: Connection refused
> >
> >How can I fix this?
>
> I am not sure why you're using 'lpstat', as that is not installed
> as part of the base freebsd OS.  If you are using the base OS,
> then you would want to use 'lpq -Pqname', where 'qname' is the
> name of the print queue that you want to check.
>
> On the other hand, you obviously *have* some version of lpstat
> installed, so it might be that you are using one of the alternate
> print-systems available via ports.  This would most likely be CUPS
> or lprNG.  If you have installed one of those, then which one are
> you running?

I have a suspicion, that KDE may sneak CUPs in while you are not
looking. I installed a printer on a system this last evening with
the latest KDE, and tried out the print manager thing in KDE.
I have *not* conciously installed CUPS, but on the test page I printed
from KDE stands in big letters at the bottom

"Printed Using CUPS V1.1.x".

And yes "lpstat" is there.
However the print system I am using ex-KDE is the good old BSD one.

Life is full of surprises.

--
Regards
Cliff