Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:44:03 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        James Gill <gill@topsecret.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apachectl and the -f switch

On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 07:40:17PM -0500, James Gill wrote:

> I can start apache with no problems by running
> /usr/local/sbin/apache -f /path/to/my/apache.conf
> by hand or in rc.local
>
> but since the newest fad is to utilize this rc.d business, i find there is
> already an apache.sh there:
> #!/bin/sh
> [ -d /usr/local/pgsql/lib ] && /sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/pgsql/lib
> [ -x /usr/local/sbin/apachectl ] && /usr/local/sbin/apachectl start
> # > /dev/null && echo -n ' apache'
>
> Now I can't figure out how to pass a -f paramater to apachectl to tell the
> little bugger which .conf file to readin.
>
> What is suggested here?  edit apache.sh to start '/usr/local/sbin/apache
> -f...' or skip the whole .../rc.d/apache.sh idea altogether?

You can edit the script to suit your needs.  The scripts in the
/usr/local/etc/rc.d directory are there for you to customize at will.

> What is that /usr/local/pgsql/lib starting up with it?  I am assuming
> it is some part of apache/php3 that wants (needs?) to wake up with
> apache?

If you have apache compiled with php3, and php3 with postgresql support
(PostgreSQL is one of the databases supported by php3), you might find
it annoying to have many scripts, say postgresql.sh, php3.sh and
apache.sh and remember that they should be executed in the right order.

This takes automatically care of updating the ldconfig cache by
`merging' (that's what the -m option means for ldconfig(1)) the
information about any libraries that postgresql might require/provide.

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"Don't let your schooling interfere with your education." [??]