Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 15:39:52 -0500
From:      Alex Nash <alex@zen.nash.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Unices are created equal, but...

[ posted to hackers only ]

I ran some tests on a 486-66 ASUS S3PG with an NCR53c810 and 16MB of
RAM, pitting Linux 1.3.83 against the FreeBSD 2.2 SNAP CD.  Since I
didn't do all the work necessary to perform an accurate comparison
(the compilers were different for example), I'll skip the specific
Byte UNIX Benchmark numbers.  However, I did note a few interesting
things:

As Terry noted, the file copy test improved dramatically when
FreeBSD was run in async mode.  The resulting performance was
within 2% of Linux.

The execl throughput test was a complete massacre, with Linux more
than an order of magnitude faster.  Does anyone familiar with the
internals of exec know why?

I also ran iozone using a 50MB file with 4096 byte records.  Terry,
I think your idea of a FreeBSD upgrade for Linux may be coming
true...

  FreeBSD on UFS:
          2770803 bytes/second for writing the file
          3908495 bytes/second for reading the file

  Linux on ext2fs:
          3220442 bytes/second for writing the file
          1950476 bytes/second for reading the file

  FreeBSD on ext2fs:
          2768517 bytes/second for writing the file
          3265638 bytes/second for reading the file

Naturally, Linux on UFS resulted in 0 bytes/second :)

Alex