Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 22:14:27 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few NITS about SCSI Tapes

>As Ben Jackson wrote:
>>
>> Sorry if this was covered (I've been mostly ignoring this thread), but
>> the standard command for this is `retension'.  While I doubt many people
>> actually spell it out (`ret' would work in either case), there's no need
>> to introduce an incompatibility.
>
>Hmm, ``standard command''?  Who does already have it?
>
>I'm all for renaming it if there has already been such an `mt' command
>on other systems, but i didn't knew this.

SunOS 4.x for example -- from the mt(1) man page:

     retension    Rewind the cartridge tape completely, then wind
                  it  forward  to the end of the reel and back to
                  beginning-of-tape to smooth out tape tension.

While talking about mt, how difficult would it be to have 'mt status'
behaviour similar to SunOS 4.x (in particular having it show the current
file number)?

David