Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 23:25:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        coredump@nervosa.com (Chris J. Layne)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: just a small observation

It seems that Chris J. Layne said:
> question, why does gcc cause ld to link in the libgcc library more than
> once? And is there any reason it isn't using the shared gcc library?

I don't know for the  double call to libgcc  but for the shared libgcc,  we
don't have one since early '95:

phk         95/03/06 00:00:24

  Modified:    gnu/usr.bin/ld ld.c
  Log:
  Never again shall we link libgcc dynamic.  It was a big mistake in the
  first place and we were too long in finding out.  Now we know, and the
  damage is hard to fix.  This is part one:  ld will not link gcc dynamic,
  if specified as "-lgcc".

  Suggested by: dyson & davidg

phk         95/03/06 00:04:06

  Modified:    gnu/usr.bin/cc/libgcc Makefile
  Log:
  Don't make the shared libgcc.  I don't belive we need the libgcc_pic.a
  anymore, so I killed that as well.
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #2: Fri May 10 21:09:14 MET DST 1996