Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:22:30 -0400
From:      Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make clean in /usr/ports

"Chris D. Faulhaber" wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
>
> > Why do I have to specify -DNOCLEANDEPENDS when doing a 'make clean' in
> > /usr/ports? Why would anyone want to clean dependencies when cleaning the entire
> > ports tree? Isn't that kinda redundant?
>
> Why would anyone 'make clean' in /usr/ports in the first
> place?  Dependencies are cleaned automatically so that when a port is
> installed, everything that may have been built is cleaned.

I've never seen this behavior, and I just checked it with a fresh ports
tree.

> > I can already hear the response..."Send a patch...". Have you actually looked at
> > the makefiles? I have a better chance of decphering the Iliad written in
> > cuneiform.
> >

> Hmmm, if you *need* to 'make clean' in /usr/ports, how about just adding
> "NOCLEANDEPENDS=yes" to /usr/ports/Makefile ?

I hadn't thought of that. However, it seems to me that I shouldn't have
had too.

Whether you need to clean the entire ports tree or not, its dumb to have
the system automatically assume that you want to clean dependecies for
the whole tree. Granted, the current system is workable and specifying
NOCLEANDEPENDS isn't difficult, but the engineer in me thinks that it
could, and should, be better.

Is there some way to have /usr/ports/Makefile automatically define
NOCLEANDEPENDS iff the current directory is /usr/ports?

-Brandon