Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 08:13:37 -0600
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, neufeld@cs.ubc.ca
Subject:   Re:  vic help

> I have been attempting to run vic2.7a31 for the last little while without
> success. Each time I try I get following message:
>
> vic: no support for your display type
>
> I am sure its some stupid little thing I have overlooked but I can not seem
> to find it! I am running tcl7.4 and tk4.

If you are running 15/16 bpp (rgb 555, 565), vic will have trouble
with your display.  I beleive it works in mono, 8bpp, 24/32bpp modes
without a problem.  Switching your X server to 8bpp for now will probably
solve your immediate problem.

> Running nv seems to work fine together with vmix.0.3 (using a GUS MAX).
> Although I do keep getting:
>
> create_speaker: Error opening /dev/pcaudioctl: Device not configured

This is because the pca0 device isn't configured into your kernel.
Vmix assumes (probably inappropriatly... but what do you want for alpha
code) the pca0 device is always configured into the kernel.  I
beleive there is a hint to this in the README file that comes with
vmix.

> for some reason when I start vmix. vmix does work however since I do use it
> to control the volume when running xcdplayer. It seems to have little or no
> effect when running vat.

You will have to create a .vmix.tcl file for your sound card.  There is a
sample version in the README file for vmix.  You then have to start vat
with the ``-U /tmp/vmixsock'' option.  If you are using sd, then modify
your .sd.tcl file to include this option when vat is started.

	-Jim