Date:      Wed, 07 May 2014 07:08:08 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: oops re: What ports tree to use on a Raspberry Pi?

--X3UnUAnOdg5PkbPJQOI6476mJA0eBbbcO

On 07/05/2014 06:09, Alan Corey wrote:
> OK, so that was a dumb statement that a database should have picked up
> that this wouldn't build on arm (if it's a generic ports tree).  Does
> that mean arm needs its own ports tree?  Or should I just build from
> raw tarballs and not use the ports system?

Ports are /required/ to be usable on Tier 1 architectures -- which are
amd64 and i386 at the moment.  Those are the two architectures provided
by RedPorts, and what the pkg build cluster supplies at the moment.

However, the way things are going this is likely to be changing: i386
popularity is waning fast, and ARM (including RasPi) is popping up
everywhere.  Do not expect changes in the next few days or weeks though
-- there's a lot of work to do to get the ports tree into decent shape
on a new Tier 1 platform.  There may be discussion about what should be
Tier 1 platforms and maybe even a consensus at BSDCan next week.

As for your specific problem: libgcrypt doesn't require GCC 4.6
specifically -- it requires a compiler that understands the gnu89
standard, which should be *any* version of GCC.  If a more recent GCC
has grown support for the RasPi, that might be your way forwards.  You
will probably find the freebsd-ports@... list a more relevant audience
for this topic.

	Cheers,

	Matthew