Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 13:30:04 -0500
From:      Jerry Kendall <jerry@border.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, Wes Santee <wsantee@wsantee.oz.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Solution: Telling if User PPP is up or down

Hey all.

Sounds to me like mayby it is the time to modify the ppp program
to create a file that has the times that the link was established
and when it was last broken. If the broken down time is, say perhaps
a string 'FUTURE', in the future, then as far as the system is
concerned, the link is active. When the link is broken, it puts the
date and time it was dropped..  Maybe even something as simple as
the creation of '/tmp/ppp.up' when the link is created and deleted
when the link is broken... The second option is easier to implement,
but, the first option allows for more fexibility.

I have cc'd the hackers to get feed back from them... I could do the
changes if it generaly excepted as the 'best' possible solution...

Hey all you hackers: what do you think????

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Wes Santee wrote:

> Whoops.  I read that as posing the question "isn't there a lockfile
> that can be checked first?".  At any rate, I've had people e-mail me
> to say that even doing that doesn't always work.  Looks like it's
> back to the drawing board.
>
> Cheers,
> --

Any comments or opinions in this message are my own and may or may not reflect
the comments or opinions of my present or previous employers.

                    Jerry Kendall      Border Network Technologies Inc.
         System Software Engineer      Tel +1-416-368-7157 ext 303
                 jerry@border.com      Fax +1-416-368-7178