Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 12:26:05 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Gary Roberts <garyr@wcs.uq.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stable config broken?

On Tue, Jun 09, 1998 at 02:16:18PM +1000, Gary Roberts wrote:
> Eivind Eklund writes :-
>
> > > GENERIC:31: unknown option "COMPAT_43"
> > > GENERIC:28: unknown option "MSDOSFS"
> > > GENERIC:27: unknown option "NFS"
> > > GENERIC:26: unknown option "FFS"
> > > GENERIC:25: unknown option "INET"
> >
> > This is not dangerous - it is just warning messages (which should be
> > considered as scary in -current, but not in -stable - not all options
> > have been made 'known' in -stable).
>
> Is it really true that all these options that we've known and loved for
> years are truly deprecated??  They used to be `known' or were we just
> fooling ourselves??  Is this documented anywhere?

Note the use of quotes around `known', indicating that this is a
special form.  No, they're not deprecated.  They have never been
`known' as seen from config(8) - they aren't in src/sys/conf/options
or src/sys/i386/conf/options.i386, so config(8) don't know about them.

In -current, all options in GENERIC and LINT has been added to the
options files (with a lot of related work).  For that case, the above
warning message makes sense there - all options _should_ be known to
the config system.  The behaviour of config in -current has also been
changed - it no longer delete the compile directory.  Thus when the
warning come, you are not guaranteed a correct build.

Eivind.