Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 1996 21:00:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Vlad Markov <bdqjl43@server4.bell-atl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ridiculously long dial string

On Fri, 22 Nov 1996, Vlad Markov wrote:

> I can connect to the network at work via user ppp. This is a toll call, so I
> got a Corporate Telephone credit card. To use it I must:
> 1. Enter 800xxxxxxx to access some phone network
> 2. wait for the dial tone
> 3. Enter 0XXXXXXXXXXX to get to the number I really want
> 4. Wait a little bit
> 5. Enter the credit card number and pin.
>
> I can't figure out how to do this. My first attempt was to put it in the dial
> string but the number was too long and the timing became incorrect.
>
> I read about "chat", if that is my solution, I don't understand how to
> implement it.

Perhaps the modem will not accept a string as long as the one you need.
I had this problem with a modem in a portable, dialing from either OS/2
(a REXX script) or Windows 3.1 (trumpet).  I had to divide the number
into two or three pieces and assign them variable names, then tell it
to dial each of the pieces.  This did work, but of course the scripts are
in different languages from the one you need to use.

Annelise