Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:45:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        ScorpioN <scorpion@cyberglobe.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0SNAP

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, ScorpioN wrote:

> Hi, I have "ppp" all set up.. the problem is when I try to connect it
> dials up the number, and then make this HIGH pitch sound and
> disconnects... I have no idea what the hell
> is wrong, my modem works in windows... and its not a winmodem thats for
> sure :)
> its a 56k v.90 modem.. I think that it might be because.. when I first
> got the modem I had to "flash: it to v.90 so I'm not sure, I would
> really appreciate any help I can get.

This is a modem problem, not a FreeBSD problem.

My guess is that your ISP is using Livingston/Lucent PortMasters, which
emit a short tone upon connection (referred to as a v.80 tone, I think),
and some modems trip on it.  The solution is to add some commas after the
dial string or phone number to force the modem to wait a few seconds
before listening.