Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 22:34:37 -0500
From:      Jerry Kelley <jerryk@iquest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Changing network identities on the fly

I currently have two PPP connections that I make: one to work; and
one to my ISP. Now, my system spends more time connected to my ISP
than to work so I initially configured it to use the hostname used
in my ISP link. I'm also running routed and have an entry in
/etc/resolv.conf to point to my ISP's name server.

The obvious question that I'm coming to is this: is there a "good"
or clean way to go back and forth between network identities? I'm
using user-mode ppp and have entries for work and my ISP.

I can easily enough run 'ppp {work | isp}' and connect. The real
tricky part comes in when I want to set up the network daemons on
the fly and change things like the routing table and so on.

I realize that I could write a script to go through and make all the
changes as needed and start ppp with the proper destination. However,
before I start down that path I'd like to know if anyone else has
experienced this schizophrenic (sp) situation and how they went about
handling it.

Thanks in advance, Sybil.

Jerry Kelley
jerryk@iquest.net
"Expectations are life's greatest dangers."