Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 10:28:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        g_laslett@motherwell.com.au (Greg Laslett)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Routing Netbeui over WAN/Intranet with TCP/PPP/SAMBA

> I want W95 PC's to be able to talk netbeui (Explore shared drives, use
> shared printers) over TCP/PPP with FreeBsd boxes routing on
> each side of the link.

Netbeui is not routable. But Netbios over TCP/IP is routable.
All you have to do is make the remote TCP/IP host known to the
client and make sure that the remote host runs TCP/IP (in the case
of a WfW machine this can be achieved with the free TCP/IP stack
from MS). In case of Win95 machine this is built in per se.

> Presumably I need something to encapsulate the Netbeui packets for
> transmission over TCP/IP.
>
> Is there anything available with SAMBA or FreeBsd that will do this ?

You can try it out yourself:

type /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de

But you only need samba when you want unix machines let participate.