Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:25:33 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INB question

> > > If a device doesn't exist, what does inb return?  0xff, right?
> >
> > Wrong, result is not known, and depends on implemetation details
> > on the MB and to some extent the cards put in the bus...
> >
> > > Specifically, how do I know if something lives at a given port?
> >
> > By doing intelligent probes, or knowing up front what to look for..
>
> OK, I give up: other than calling INT 0x15, AH=0xC0, how do I detect
> whether a machine is MCA or not without hard coding it in my kernel
> configuration file?

You giving up, so easy ?? naw....

There must be some device or something on a MCA board thats different
form the ISA/EISA/PCI systems, probe for that...

> I need an MCA bus detect.  8-(.

The only thing I really know about the MCA bus is that I avoid it
like the plaque, besides that I'm not too familliar with it, but
a detect routine cant be that difficult to make...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..