Date:      Fri, 02 May 1997 23:29:01 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        alexlh@yourchoice.nl (Alex Le Heux)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to buy?

At 02:31 PM 5/2/97 +0200, Alex Le Heux wrote:
>Ian Vaudrey writes:
>> I've no experience of Seagate SCSI drives, but I've had several of
>> their IDE drives fail. The high failure rate of Seagate units has also
>> been reported on recently in Computer Shopper (UK). I use Fujitsu SCSI
>> drives in my servers with no failures to date.
>>
>I have exactly the opposite experience. We have several Seagate Baraccuda
>drives here, and the have been _working_ very hard for the past year. No
>problems whatsoever. I know of several other people who have Baraccuda drives
>and they haven't had any problems either.

Unless they changed in the past year the 2Gb Cuda is just too hot.  Very
solid otherwise.

>Fujitsu on the other hand... Over the past year I've come accross 6 Fujitsu
>drives, none of which is still alive. They all started to have problems after
>about a two months of heavy use.

They can almost cook for you.  Heard from bad things from many network
server builders.  We *had* one.
Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990