Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 2009 02:41:54 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Lingfeng Xiong <xionglingfeng@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some bugs on upgraded-gnome 2.28

--=-Bx+qQffCzHHA3rr4fFb/

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 13:16 +0800, Lingfeng Xiong wrote:
> hi all,
> i upgrade my gnome 2.26 to gnome 2.28 through portupgrade -a today.but
> i found some problems.
> 1. many icons are lost.for example,the Place - Connect to Server menu
> item lost it icon.and also,the System menu lost all its icons.

Go to System > Preferences > Appearance > Interface, and make sure "Show
icons in menus" is enabled.  GNOME 2.28 removed a lot of icons by
default.

> 2.the avant-window-navigator cannot work at all.i upgraded my compiz
> with my gnome.but when i run awn,it would give me a error like this:
> [bear@bear-freebsd /usr/home/bear]$ avant-window-navigator
> launchers unset, setting now
>=20
> (avant-window-navigator:4315): Gdk-WARNING **: Native Windows wider or
> taller than 65535 pixels are not supported
> Screen is composited.
> APPLET : /usr/local/share/avant-window-navigator/applets/taskman.desktop
> The program 'avant-window-navigator' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
>   (Details: serial 883 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
>   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() functio=
n.)
> [bear@bear-freebsd /usr/home/bear]$
>=20
> i have tried both avant-window-navigator and
> avant-window-navigator-gnome.i also recompiler them,but it took no
> effect.

No idea here.  You may want to ping the compiz maintainer.  They may
need to do an update to catch up with the new GNOME components.

> 3.the chinese characters in the title become very very..............ugly.=
> when i was still using gnome 2.26,i can select Wenquanyi as default
> fonts.this would make all fonts shown clear.but now,although i select
> Wenquanyi,it still very ugly...

I don't read Chinese, but some Chinese spam I got looks "okay" in that
the symbols don't look like garbage.  Hopefully someone more familiar
with CJK will step forward and comment on the various font changes that
were merged with GNOME 2.28.  In the meantime, you can try backing down
print/freetype2, x11-fonts/fontconfig, and x11-fonts/libXft in series to
see if any of them have a positive effect.

Joe