Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:33:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      Marc Rassbach <marc@milestonerdl.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Rsync, ssh and using root.

I know that using remote root login is considered bad behavior, but
my job in implementation, not judgement of security.  This is what the
client wants...put a hole in the default FreeBSD security.

The client in the old days had a 3.5 box (2 of them) and used a
combination of rsync, rsync in daemon mode, and ssh to allow root to move
data between both machines.

What was done under 3.5 (remote keys, etc la) no longer work on 4.4.
On 4.X, it seems to fail after authencation, and I have spent 20+ hours
reading man pages, and the mail list and can't find a good work around.
(I have resisted looking at the source becuase I do not feel it is a bug,
nor do I wish to patch code to make this work)

What I am looking for is a way to have root-level privilages for
reading/writing files between servers as the lo-tech solution they want
for the 'server backup' is moving files once a day.

Guidance as to how to do this with rsync (break securty) or some other
method that does not break security is welcome.