Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2014 13:20:08 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Pawel Biernacki <pawel.biernacki@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@icloud.com>, Walter Hop <freebsd@spam.lifeforms.nl>
Subject:   Re: Proposal

Pawel Biernacki <pawel.biernacki@gmail.com> writes:
> Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav <des@des.no> writes:
> > The freebsd-update build is not a normal make buildworld or make
> > release, it's much more complicated than that.
> So you're telling me that nothing can be done about it?

I'm telling you that you're arguing out of ignorance.

Publishing an advisory takes time because there are many steps involved.
Wishing that all those tasks only take ten minutes each and can be
performed in parallel won't make it so.

> And I don't understand why all of those things need to be
> single-threaded,

I've told you, everything needs to be done in a specific order.  You
can't mail out the advisory before it's published on the web because it
contains links to itself.  You can't push the advisory to the web site
before it's signed.  You can't sign it until it's complete.  You can't
complete it until you've committed the patches, because it contains
information about the commits.  You can't commit until after the
freebsd-update builds have completed and the binary patches have
propagated to all the mirrors, because you want the source and binary
patches to go out simultaneously.  And so on and so forth.

Throwing more manpower at the job won't make a difference; in fact, it
might slow things down due to the need to communicate and coordinate.
Read your Fred Brooks.

> since you even mention asking someone from clusteradm@ to help:

Yes, I mentioned getting someone from clusteradm@ to run the web update
script manually instead of waiting 10 minutes for the next scheduled
update.  Trust me, that's not a major sticking point in the process.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no