Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 1996 14:21:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        metcalf@imagine.com, joseph_m._o'connor@ccgate1.bms.com
Subject:   Repair boot sector of IDE hard drive

     Hello,

     In preparing an installation of FreeBSD 2.1, a collegue of mine and I
     used DOS fdisk to partition an IDE hard drive and through one process
     or another, managed to corrupt the boot sector.  We do not have a
     backup of the boot sector and would like to know if there is a way
     to repair it.  We know the geometry of the hard drive.  It is a
     1272MB hard drive with a geometry of 2466 cyls, 16 heads, and
     63 sectors.  Currently, DOS fdisk reports that the maximum size
     of the hard drive available for a primary DOS partition is
     504MB, when this is clearly not the case.  We want to correct the
     boot sector so that DOS fdisk will recognize the 1272MB as the
     maximum available size for a primary DOS partition.

     Thanks,

     J. Metcalf