Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 20:49:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        browning <darkdog@www.netmcr.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install

On Thu, 5 Sep 1996, browning wrote:

> Since the hardware goddess brought me a new (second) hard drive, that
> problem is solved. I now have several more questions. I've been saving them up.
>
> 1) atapi.flp is not on the 2.1.5 CD (nor is inst_bat). I downloaded it from
> the 2.1.0 directory on the ftp server and used rawrite to copy to a fresh
> floppy. It appears to boot the kernel but when it begins searching the
> system it hangs up, giving me a blank screen. Is this why atapi.flp was not
> included in the 2.1.5 distribution?  boot.flp works just fine until I ask
> for CD-ROM as install medium and get a "No CD-ROM..." message (which makes
> perfect sense).

The ATAPI code is now integrated into the 2.1.5-RELEASE boot floppy.  If
it isn't found:

1)  check the wdc? devices for the proper settings.
2)  Move your CDROM between the primary and secondary controller.  The
best place appears to be the slave position of the primary controller.

> 2) Now that I have two hard drives, do I want a primary and secondary master
> (present set-up), or a master and slave? FreeBSD finds, opens and partitions
> the second master just fine.

Pick the hard disk you want it on; the only thing that matters is that
many BIOSs can't boot disks off the second controller.

> 3) If two master drives, where does the boot manager go? The BSD boot
> manager to open DOS, BSD, and NT? Or the NT boot manager, which I gather
> doesn't work very well.

Two master drives?  Um, no.  You have two options for IDE:  one disk or
two.  See my previous paragraph.

> 4) Okay, so I know I can't at present install from the CD. I copy all of
> /dists and /floppies to an empty DOS partition, figuring I'll get the rest
> later. I go through the novice install menus and at the end I get:
>
>         a) "Error mounting /dev/wd0s2 on /dos: invalid argument(22)" then,
>         b) "Can't find kernel image..." then,
>         c) "Install completed with errors..."

your DOS slice isn't a form FreeBSD can recognise.  Is there anything
special with it?  Was wd0/wdc0 found during the boot probe?  (Easy way to
check -- hit SCROLL LOCK at the main menu then the up arrow to see the
boot messages.)

> and then back to the install menu. Copying the directories to
> d:\freebsd\dists\(distname)or d:\freebsd\(distname) seems not to make a
> difference. Is BSD loaded? Can I then go to the configuration menu and fix
> things?

No.  Nothing was loaded.

It should be in c:\freebsd\bin, c:\freebsd\manpages and so on.