Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 07:33:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        patseal@hyperhost.net (Patrick Seal)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey), kns@enteract.com (john sconier), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound on laptop Dell Latitude cpi??

Patrick Seal babbled:
> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 00:38:32 -0400
> From: Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
> To: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
> Cc: john sconier <kns@enteract.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG,
>         freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG

> On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 11:02:02AM +0930i, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > On Tuesday,  3 August 1999 at 19:59:02 -0400, Patrick Seal wrote:
> >>
> >> the pcm driver works for me:
> >>
> >> device pcm0 at isa? port? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
> >>
> >> Note that I have a Latitude CPi 266 (the older big screen one)
> >
> > That sounds identical to mine.  How's the volume compared with
> > Microsoft?
>
> Oh geez, even with headphones it's not even worth it. I've never tried
> it with windows, so I don't know if it's just crappy sound or the FreeBSD
> sound drivers.

Hmmm....  Mine seems plenty loud enough, but I'm currently running NT4.  I
only have FreeBSD on an older Latitude with no audio.  My guess is that
you're seeing a software problem, not a hardware problem, but, of course,
your particular machine could have something going on that's unique to it.

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD                 Atarian ordinaire
jdunham@fc.net                                           (512)335-0674 (H)

                              E Pluribus Unix