Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 15:07:45 +0100
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "'Genius@glasgow.crosswinds.net'" <Genius@glasgow.crosswinds.net>
Subject:   RE:What to do with KDE.........

Ian O'Friel wrote:

>Hi People,
>
>I recently downloaded all necessary files for KDE from the FreeBSD ftp
>server (When I say neccesary, I mean what was marked as required on the
>web-site) Here is a list of the files I downloaded and there sizes......
>
>kdebase.tar - 69Kb
>jpeg.tar - 10Kb
>kbiff.tar - 12Kb
>kde.tar - 6Kb
>giflib.tar - 14Kb
>kdegames.tar - 44Kb
>kdegraphics.tar - 19Kb
>kdelibs.tar - 17Kb
>kdenetwork.tar - 30Kb
>kdesupport.tar - 12Kb
>kdeutils.tar - 19Kb
>kpilot.tar - 85Kb
>uulib.tar - 14Kb

>I would now like to know what to do with them, I have made an attempt to
>install them using TAR and MAKE but bothed failed with various error
>messages......
>
>Can someone tell me where the files need to go and what order to they need
>to be unTARred in and what order do they need to be MAKEd in an
whatever....

>Thanx
>Ian O'Friel

The sizes of those files looks suspiciously small. I have got KDE installed
and I'm sure each file was at least 500K. Also, did you download them as
.tar files? (i.e. not .tar.gz or .tgz files?). I would go directly to the
KDE site <ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/Beta4/distribution/tgz/source>;
and download the latest version from there. The files you have downloaded
look close to the required files (apart from the size).

I found that you need to compile and install each part in the correct order
for this to work. After untarring each file, you probably need to do the
following to get them installed (don't just take my word for it though, read
the README):

./configure
make
make install

I think that kdelib, kdesupport, kdebase are the first ones that need
compiling, the rest should compile in any order, you'll need to check
though.

Have fun,

Jeff