Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 13:32:07 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Richard Morte" <ric@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: DNS Implications for VHosts on Apache

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999 17:25:01 +0100, Richard Morte wrote:

...Richard trying to use Virtual hosting in internal network....

I got lost with all the config files/setup info.. :-)
My understanding of Virtual Hosts with Apache is that it looks at the URL the client sends and then
interprets that.

Having said that....

>a) forget name-virtual hosting and use lots of IP addresses /OR

NOPE.

>b) try using CNAMEs in DNS (but how about the PTRs) /OR

I don't think you need PTRs for virtual hosting. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong..

>c) forget about DNS, just add more entries to /ect/hosts (but then this
>has to be  repeated on every client - this is not so good)

What are the clients in the internal network? Unix/Windows?
If you have them working by hard coding the names in a host table then you have have the battle won.
You only need to get your DNS fixe.d

>d) stick with what I've got - it works, so why worry /OR
>e) try something else?

From your setup:
  sparky		IN	A	192.168.120.100
  www.client1.local.	IN	A	192.168.120.100
  www.client2.local.	IN	A	192.168.120.100

I believe a more appropiate setup would be to use Canonical names (CN), but I think both will do what
you want. If this setup is working for you why are you trying to change it?

... And yes multiple entries for a single IP is how it is done.