Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:45:57 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kicking users

> Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:45:16 -0400
> From: Mike Galvez <mrg8n@virginia.edu>
>
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 06:01:56PM +0200, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> > How can I "kick" a user that is logged on the host?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> kill -9 `ps -aux | awk '$1 ~/username/ {print $2}'`

I've had trouble killing logins manually that way, although I admit
that I've been using a plain 'kill' command, not 'kill -9'.

Where I need to do this most often is for SSH users whose sessions
time out due to connectivity problems.  I kill their processes and
shell, but the login still just sits there for a really long time
(hours? days? .. in 'who' anyway) before it goes away.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium