Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:44:40 -0400
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>, dave@jetcafe.org, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On Thursday, September 12, 2002, at 03:27  PM, Neal E. Westfall wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
>>> Actually you can't start there.  The premise that "light bulbs work"
>>> is dependent on the uniformity of nature, for which you have yet to
>>> provide a justification.
>>
>> I justify it by the fact that light bulbs are *observed* to work.
>
> I see.  So your justification of induction is based on induction.
> Right.

>>> Proof, please.  What you seem to be missing is that on a theistic
>>> worldview, God is able to ensure that the totality of what He wishes
>>> to reveal, nothing more, nothing less, gets into the canon.  If God
>>> is providentially in control of all things, he is able to ensure
>>> that the word He wishes to communicate gets so communicated.
>>> Political
>>> considerations are irrelevant.
>>
>> So which is the *true* canon, and *why*?  The dead sea scrolls,
>> of which th Bible is a translation, are not all of the dead sea
>> scrolls there were, they were only some of them.
>
> The Christian canon is not based on the dead sea scrolls.  The canon is
> based on what the church has always recognized as the scriptures.  The
> concept of canonicity was inherited from the Jewish church from whom it
> received the Old Testament scriptures.  The New Testament scriptures
> were received gradually by the church from the apostles and their close
> associates, and as such were approved by the apostles, who were in turn
> commissioned by Christ Himself.

Not exactly, the Bible in its current state was decided over 300 years
after Jesus walked on earth.  And like I have said before there were
hundreds of books and gospels.  Constantine began the process of
canonization of the Bible.  The reason for it was to make sure everyone
was on the same page so to speak.  The word itself is greek btw.  They
wanted to stop heretics, and thus the orthodoxy was established in the
canon of the Bible.  And while one takes it on faith that the books
included were inspired by God's Will.  One has to ask, if all the books
were inspired by God why were they not all included?  Why were some
deemed right and wrong, and what was the criteria?  Books that would
have preached that the church was not always needed would have been
removed for example.  Thus politics, in this case, the survival of the
Church, came into play.  Plus remember the man who started this was a
political figure, and wanted to further his chosen religion above all
others in his empire, hence that would also have a bearing on the
outcome.

As an aside, the original meaning of the Scriptures in the Bible meant
jewish scriptures of the time.

>> Is the true canon the dead sea scrolls?  Or is it the King James
>> translation into English of the Bible?
>
> What has *any* English translation have to do with it?  The canon
> was received from the apostles, who were commissioned by Christ.
> The principle by which the church eventually agreed on what was to
> be included in the canon was the historical tradition of apostolicity.

English translation has a lot to do with it.  Look at the the name
Jehova.  If you take two versions of the Bible translated by different
people, you will have two slightly different books.  That is why a
translation has a lot to do with it.  History itself is full of
mistranslations of words not only in the Bible.

--Larry