Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 23:55:43 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best way to upgrade to 2.2.5-BETA?

On Wed, Oct 08, 1997 at 08:39:34AM -0600, John-David Childs wrote:
> On Tuesday October  7, 1997, Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
>  had this to say about "Re: Best way to upgrade to 2.2.5-BETA?":
>
> > On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, William Wong wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > Can cvsup be used to upgrade an existing machine to 2.2.5-snap_date-BETA?
> > > If so, is there also a list of the different tags on the cvsup sites that
> > > I know I can cvsup to?
> > >
> > > If not, is getting the floppies from releng22.freebsd.org and then pointing
> > > the ftp site to releng22.freebsd.org for the latest betas the only way to go?
> >
> > It's probably the best way to go.
>
> Having done both, upgrading via boot.flp (binaries) is a lot easier ;)  On
> my home machine, I installed 2.1.7 about two months ago and then built
> 2.2.2-RELEASE and 2.2-STABLE via the make world process (just to learn how
> the CVSUP process works, really, although my wife claims it was for
> masochistic reasons).  I've since upgraded to 2.2.5-BETA (10-05) via make
> world.

I've found an easy way to upgrade via cvsup and make world.  First you cvsup
the system.  Then you make world until it breaks.  Then for each program
that breaks because it is dependant upon something that isn't installed
yet just remove it from the relevent makefile and do a (cd /usr/src; make)
again until it succeeds.

i.e. if /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp breaks (which it did recently, cos of a
dependency on libalias) just remove it from the makefile in /usr/src/usr.sbin.
Once the make (notice you only need to run make world the first time, and
make from then  onwards) has finished do a make install to install what you've
got so far.  Then cvsup to replace all the stuff  you've removed from the
makefiles and start again.

I updated a 2.1.5 machine to RELENG_2_2 last week doing this.  Easy.
(Only problem?  It was a 486 machine with 8mb of memory so it was _real_
slow :)

Joe