Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 1996 00:13:41 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, smpatel@wam.umd.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, neil@synthcom.com, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: PnP problem...

>>> 1) Disable all PNP devices
>>> 2) Probe for ISA
>>> 3) Obtain EISA information - report conflicts with ISA devices
>>> 4) Initialize EISA devices
>>> 5) Init PnP devices
>>> 6) Init PCI devices
>>> 7) Boot system ;-)

This seems about right.

>>Unfortuantely, this won't work...  In FreeBSD, it goes

>But it could.  You just need a configuration manager.

>>Init PCI
>>Init EISA
>>Init PC-Card
>>Init ISA

The current order is:

Probe and init PCMCIA
Probe and init EISA
Probe and init PCI
Probe and init ISA

and the order in 2.1 was:

Probe and init EISA
Probe and init ISA
Probe and init PCI

>The only reason its in that order now is so that PCI/EISA devices that
>have an ISA compatibility mode are found by the PCI/EISA probes first.
>Neil's approach is more along the lines of how it should be, and the EISA
>code at least was written thinking that the attach of devices wouldn't
>necessarily follow the probe.

Hmm.  How do the ISA probes avoid rediscovering PCI/EISA devices?  What
happens if there is a "bt0 at isa?" (as specified in the config) on the
ISA bus and another one on the PCI/EISA bus?  I think this doesn't work
now.  If Neil's approach is used then the corresponding problems are:
How does the config manager know that some ISA devices are physically
the same as a PCI/EISA device?  How does the config manager assign
minor numbers in the above complicated case involving bt0 and even in
simple cases?

>3) Probe all ISA devices.  A probe returns whatever information can
>be obtained non-invasively. ...

That's almost no information. :-(

>If a driver can't determine the I/O port,
>for example, it returns a map of all possible ports.

0-0x3ff :-).  I think ISA probes will have to be just as invasive as
now except they will be able to be more careful about clobbering
previously probed devices thanks to the more complete resource maps.

Bruce