Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:00:26 -0800
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getfreebsdstuff [-cmd|-pkg|-port|-dist|-vVERS|...] thing ...

In message <Pine.A41.3.95b.981215102749.148012B-100000@goodall1.u.washington.edu>, "K. Marsh" cleopede:
>On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Greg Shenaut wrote:
>
>> Is there a utility with the above functionality? That is, a single
>> command-line invocation that will fetch, compile if necessary, and
>> install one or more commands, distributions, packages, or ports?
>>
>> I have installed packages and ports, but the process is interactive
>> and tends to fail--I am probably doing things the "hard way" due to
>> lack of knowledge and would appreciate a steer toward the easy way.
>
>Gosh, Greg, I didn't think it could be much easier than pkg_add.

Well, you are probably correct.  How do you use pkg_add to add a
distribution or port?  And also, how do you fetch a package or port
if you don't know or care what version to get, or don't know the
name given to the port or package containing a given command?

>If you're having problems, my guess is that you are trying to add new
>packages/ports from the web to an older installation of FreeBSD, so the
>version numbers of libraries, distfiles, etc are off.

Yes, I've run into this.  I thought that the notion of prerequisites
was supposed to deal with this, at least for ports.

>I've always
>had best results by using only the packages and ports that are on the
>CD-ROM with the version of FreeBSD I'm running, but in a pinch, I get the
>new port from the web first, and then run make on it.  I haven't used
>packages as much, but from what I've read, they are even *easier*.

This made more sense before things were split among several CDs.
I have sometimes had great difficulty (probably because of stupidity
on my part) trying to install a port from the same-version CD set,
when resources were needed from more than one CD.  For one thing,
it was difficult to find out which CD something was on, especially
when I wasn't certain of the name of the containing package.